by Sandy Swegel
Everything’s greening up in your garden and there are so many interesting baby plants. Can you recognize what’s a friend or a foe? Here are some clues to help you identify little seedlings that are coming up in my garden right now!
- I’m a weed, but I’m a nutritious and yummy green for salads or saute. Wait too long, and I may grow to four feet tall.
- I’m volunteering in your herb garden. I look a lot like other other herbs, flowers and weeds, but crush a leaf and smell it…and you’ll know exactly who I am.
- Did you plant your cool season vegetable seeds recently? I’m always up the fastest!
- I don’t mind cold and snow. A lot of people plant me on St., Patrick’s Day.
- Don’t I look healthy! Let me grow and I’ll be in your garden FOREVER.
- Did you plant annual wildflowers last year? I may have a hard time making a commitment, but I’ll be back every year.
- Nobody remembers planting me, but I love to grow in surprising places. I may be all green now, but come back in a week and I’ll be jumping to see you.
- lambs quarter
- bachelor’s button
- johnny jump up